Monday 6 March 2017

A Brief Stay at Solomonic Peacocks Theatre.

A Brief Stay at Solomonic Peacocks Theatre by Dalitsani Lucy Anselmo a fourth year student in department of fine and performing arts at Chancellor college.

Dalitsani Anselmo on stage as lady Capulate In Rome n Juliet
play by Solomonic Peacocks Theatre.
I joined Solomonic Peacocks Theatre as a volunteer on the 17th of January 2017. I was there for only two months but managed to learn a lot from the team. While at Solomonic, I worked as an actor and got lucky enough to take part in two plays: Romeo and Juliet which was shown at two different venues and Rhythm which was shown to a Zimbabwean touring group.

During my stay, I took part in a mindset change programme where we worked with prisoners from Chichiri Prison. I must say I was scared at the idea of working with prisoners but once I met and interacted with them, I realized that they were actually nice and friendly. It was a great experience working with them in drama and it cleared all my misconceptions about prisoners that I had in the past.
Dalitsani In Action
 


While volunteering at Solomonic Peacocks theatre, I had the opportunity of taking part in a workshop conducted by Rooftop promotions from Zimbabwe. The workshop included scriptwriting, acting and dance. We learned two physical dances that looked difficult at first sight but once you caught on, the dances became easy and fun. The group also gave us, Malawian actors, hope to believe in what we did because there is an art market in Zimbabwe were we can show our talent. After the workshop, there was an interesting drama performance by the group which tackled the issue of women abuse.
Due to this workshop, I managed to give a handshake to Eric Mabedi whom in my opinion is one of Malawi’s oldest actors. Mabedi played Jakobo in the comedy shows of Izeki and Jakobo. I was speechless at first and when I gathered courage to talk to him, I stammered. It was embarrassing but I cherished the moment.         
A group photo with friend after performances
I also made friends at Solomonic. I had the opportunity to work with talented young actors in the activities we had. We acted, danced and sang together. It was nice to have these guys because we would motivate each other and help each other when one of us had trouble understanding a character they were playing. Most of all, it was sweet to have these guys laugh and joke with you every day because it always made me feel at home and I was able to act crazy around them. I’m going to miss these guys.

More fun after Well done Show
Lastly, I would like to say that I loved my stay as a volunteer at Solomonic Peacocks theatre and I will always remember my time there. I have learnt a lot from them and I would highly recommend it to anyone who would like to become or would want to develop their skills as an actor. Solomonic Peacocks is a place that strives to make the actor better than before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment